Indigenous Health (Program)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
Our PHN is committed to Closing the Gap and working towards better health for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in our region.
We are working closely with Aboriginal Medical Services (AMSs) and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) to co-design culturally appropriate programs that address local needs.
Services We Fund
To improve access to services for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, we work with the service providers below:
Integrated Team Care (ITC) Program
The Integrated Team Care (ITC) Program aims to increase access to primary health care services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The program offers care coordination support for people with a chronic condition, and general support to access health services through outreach workers.
This support can assist patients to access:
- affordable medicines;
- transport services to and from medical appointments;
- care coordination and supplementary services – coordinated multidisciplinary care for those living with chronic disease; and
- other available community services.
These services are delivered by Aboriginal Medical Services (AMSs) and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) across our region.
Our funded ITC providers are:
- Carbal Medical Services – Toowoomba and Southern Downs
- Cherbourg Regional Aboriginal and Islander Community Controlled Health Services (CRAICCHS) – South Burnett and Cherbourg
- Institute for Urban Indigenous Health (IUIH) - through a partnership with Brisbane North PHN – Ipswich, Somerset and Lockyer Valley (through Kambu Health)
- Goondir Health Services – Western Downs
Goondir Cultural Development Program
The Cultural Development Program is delivered in Dalby and aims to improve the Social and Emotional Wellbeing of participants through providing activities that offer a re-connection to culture.
These activities are led by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander facilitators who take participants through a range of cultural activities and experiences including boomerang and didgeridoo making, cultural dance, story-telling and visits to culturally significant sites.
Goolburri Early Years and Infancy Program
The Bunji to Gunadoos service provides Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families with culturally appropriate antenatal and postnatal care in Toowoomba. The service supports:
- inclusion of fathers in the early childhood phase of health care;
- increased access and attendance to GP, midwife and antenatal appointments;
- increased access to immunisation appointments; and
- opportunistic health care for women and their children.
Making a Difference
Learn more about how Goolburri and Carbal Medical Services are making a difference through the Care Coordination Service.
*This service is now delivered through the Goolburri Early Years and Infancy Program.
Helpful Links and Resources
We've compiled a list of helpful links and resources for you to access.
For Health Professionals
Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
The Aboriginal Indigenous HealthInfoNet is helping to Close the Gap by providing the evidence base to inform practice and policy in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health.
Department of Premier and Cabinet
Read the National Strategic Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples' Mental Health and Social and Emotional Wellbeing.
Find clinical guidelines for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health including:
Find information and education guides for in relation to Medicare for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health, including:
Find MBS Item numbers for Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Peoples Health Assessments.
On this page you'll find:
Quick links loading...