COVID-19: GP Alert (22 August 2020)
August 22, 2020
URGENT COVID-19 UPDATE – Brisbane Youth Detention Centre Cluster grows
Queensland’s Chief Health Officer this morning confirmed a further six active cases linked to the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre (BYDC). This brings the total active cases of this cluster to seven, including a confirmed case in an Ipswich Hospital inpatient. Five of these cases work at BYDC while the additional two cases are relatives of these workers.The suburbs of Bundamba, Marsden, Carindale, North Ipswich and Forest Lake in the Greater Brisbane and Ipswich areas have cases linked to this cluster.
Ongoing testing of staff and youth is underway to determine the extent of the cluster. Contact tracing of hospital staff and other patients who may have been exposed has also commenced. This will also include efforts to contact and test young people who have been released from the BYDC in recent weeks who may have been exposed. The results of genomic sequencing of this virus are pending.
Additional testing capacity and fever clinics will continue to be made available in West Moreton, Metro South and Metro North. Details of clinics can be found here: https://www.qld.gov.au/covid19testing
The urgent COVID-19 update from the Queensland Government, including local government areas (LGAs) that have been restricted can be found here.
West Moreton Health Walk-in COVID-19 Clinic
On Saturday 22 August and Sunday 23 August, West Moreton Health will operate an extra walk-in COVID clinic at:
The Salvation Army Church Hall
- Cnr Brisbane Road and Coal Street, Bundamba
- Open 9:00am - 4:30pm
- No appointment is necessary
- Please dress appropriately for the weather and bring food and drink in case you have to wait outside
GP-led Respiratory Clinics
GP-LED RESPIRATORY CLINICS
GP-led respiratory clinics continue to be available to clinically assess people with mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms, which are:
- fever or history of fever
- sore throat, rhinorrhoea
- cough, shortness of breath
- acute fatigue/myalgia/arthralgia
- loss of smell, loss of taste
The respiratory clinics are staffed by GPs and will provide full assessment and management plans for patients presenting with respiratory symptoms. For this reason, it is important that only people with mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms are referred to the respiratory clinics. This ensures that people experiencing respiratory symptoms have access to appropriate management and testing and preserves the capacity of the respiratory clinics.
Flinders Peak GP - Purga
- Standard operating hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday and 8:30am to 12:00pm Saturday and Sunday.
- Call 07 5464 6765.
Health Matters Karalee - Karalee
- Standard operating hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday and 9:00am to 12:00pm Saturday.
- Clinic will open Sunday, 23 August from 8:00am - 5:00pm (not usually open at this time)
- Call 07 3812 3133
Kambu - Booval
- Standard operating hours: 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday
- Clinic will be open Sunday, 23 August from 8:30am - 6:00pm (not usually open at this time)
- Call 0408 699 432
Carbal Medical Services - Toowoomba
- 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
- Call 07 4580 1400
James Neil Medical - Toowoomba
- 8:30am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Call 07 4632 4888
Condamine Medical Centre - Warwick
- 9:00am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday and 9:00am to 11:30am Saturday.
- Call 07 4666 9666
The standard operating hours listed above (including the days of operation) are being extended in line with demand. Patients can call the clinics to confirm availability of appointments. Patients MUST make an appointment before attending the respiratory clinics.
For full details, visit our COVID-19 webpage or your relevant HealthPathways portal:
Darling Downs HealthPathways
West Moreton HealthPathways
REMINDER - Process for requesting surgical and N95 masks
Surgical and N95 masks continue to be available for general practice staff and people who may have had contact with COVID-19. For general practices located in the Darling Downs and West Moreton region, these masks will be distributed via our PHN.
If you have an identified need for surgical masks at your practice, please contact our Primary Care Liaison team via email email@example.com
Please include the quantity of masks that you would like to receive for consideration. For more information, please visit www.ddwmphn.com.au/COVID-19
REMINDER - Utilise Telehealth as appropriate following triage
Visit the COVID-19 Telehealth MBS items webpage for more information.
NEW – Additional restrictions for Queensland announced
As a result of this growing cluster, facilities in Greater Brisbane including the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of City of Brisbane, City of Ipswich, Logan City, Scenic Rim Region, Somerset Region, Lockyer Valley Region, Moreton Bay Region, Redlands City will take additional measures:
- Update to the Movement and Gathering Direction (No 3): restrict public gatherings and gatherings in home to 10 people in the above LGAs.
- Update to the Aged Care Direction: reimplement restrictions on public and private residential aged care facilities in the above LGAs.
- Update to the Hospital Visitors Direction (No 6): No visitors to public or private hospitals unless permitted by the facility in the above LGAs.
- New Direction: Disability Accommodation Services Direction restrict visitor access to disability and congregate living facilities in the above LGAs (these services should activate COVID plans where they have them including the use of PPE where appropriate).
For the remaining LGAs in Queensland, public gatherings and gatherings in homes will be restricted to 30 people.
From 1:00am Thursday. 20 August there have been changes to the border restrictions in line with the Border Restrictions Direction (No.12). View the overview of the changes including those impacting essential healthcare.
Reminder for your patients and staff
- If you are sick with symptoms of COVID-19 please get tested and stay at home until your test returns a negative result.
- Regularly wash your hands and disinfect your phone.
- Maintain physical distancing.