COVID-19: GP Alert (24 August 2020)
August 24, 2020
IMPORTANT UPDATE - PPE Guidance
Please note the following amendments with immediate effect:
- The following Hospital and Health Services (HHS) have been determined to be ‘moderate risk’ for the purposes of PPE use:
- West Moreton HHS
- Metro South HHS
- Metro North HHS
- Children’s Health Queensland
- Mater Health Services
- Please note that all other HHSs remain ‘low risk’
- Moderate risk requires use of flat surgical masks in most clinical settings for staff, patients and visitors. Please see Appendix 6 - PPE escalation Healthcare Facilities for more information.
- The risk rating will remain in place for a minimum of 4 weeks.
The recommendation applies to all clinicians working in these geographical areas, including those in general practice and other primary care clinical settings.
REMINDER - Process for requesting surgical and N95 masks
A supply of surgical, and where applicable N95 masks, continues to be available for general practices where there is no commercially available local supply. For general practices located in the Darling Downs and West Moreton region, these masks will be distributed via our PHN.
If you have an identified need for surgical masks at your practice, please contact our Primary Care Liaison team via email email@example.com
Generally, as per Department of Health advice, requesting providers will be allocated:
- GP Respiratory Clinics, general practices and ACCHS - two boxes (100 masks) for each clinic within the practice or ACCHS
- After-hours GP home visiting services, MDS, and Nurse Practitioner owned or led primary care practices - one box (50 masks) per practice/service
- Community pharmacy - one box (50 masks) per community pharmacy
- Allied health - one box (50 masks) per practice
For specific eligibility requirements, please refer to the Distribution of PPE through PHNs Guidance.
REMINDER - Utilise Telehealth as appropriate following triage
Visit the COVID-19 Telehealth MBS items webpage for more information.
Contact tracing information - consider updating triage questions
Please be aware of the recent locations that COVID-19 positive patients have been to from the Health Alerts on Queensland health website. You may want to consider adding this to your triage questions.
Access contact tracing health alerts here
Reminder for your patients and staff
- If you are sick with symptoms of COVID-19 please get tested and stay at home until your test returns a negative result.
- Regularly wash your hands and disinfect your phone.
- Maintain physical distancing.