COVID-19: GP Alert (25 August 2020)
August 25, 2020
NEW - Pandemic Response Guidance: Personal protective equipment in Healthcare delivery
The following Hospital and Health Services (HHS) have been determined to be ‘moderate risk’ for the purposes of PPE use:
- West Moreton HHS
- Metro South HHS
- Metro North HHS
- Children’s Health Queensland
- Mater Health Services
The Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) escalation Healthcare Facilities Appendix 6 was recently updated to the Pandemic Response Guidance Personal protective equipment in Healthcare delivery (NEW 24/08/2020).
For the purposes of PPE use in primary health care settings in moderate risk areas, the current guidance is:
- universal masking (with flat surgical mask) of all staff, patients and visitors
- general practices and primary health care providers to wear eye protection if working within
1.5 metres of consumers
- full PPE only when interacting with suspected COVID cases
- the risk rating will remain in place for a minimum of 4 weeks
Please note guidance is not a mandatory directive. It reflects learnings from national and international experiences and is aimed at safeguarding our health care workers. The updated guidance is recommended for all primary health professionals working in the West Moreton region and other moderate risk areas as listed above. including those in general practice and other primary care clinical settings.
The Darling Downs region is currently considered a low risk area. See the linked document above for guidance in low risk areas.
Distribution of masks through Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN
As part of the continued response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Department of Health have provided Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN with a limited supply of masks for distribution to primary health workers where there is no local commercial supply available. Details are:
- Surgical mask requests - available for general practices, Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHS), community pharmacy and allied health professionals. To request surgical masks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (eligibility criteria apply)
- P2/N95 respirator requests – available only to primary care providers currently undertaking COVID-19 specimen collection. To request P2/N95 respirators, please email email@example.com (eligibility criteria apply)
For specific eligibility requirements, please refer to the Distribution of PPE through PHNs Guidance.
We understand that this guidance will lead to higher demand for PPE and we thank you for your patience as we process high volumes of requests as quickly as possible.
Telehealth consultations remain an option for providing primary health care without face-to-face contact. Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN is providing primary health care providers with complimentary access to the healthdirect Video Call service.
Our Primary Care Liaison Team can set your practice up with login details and training. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
REMINDER: Contact tracing information - consider updating triage questions
Queensland Health has expanded its list of venues where cases of the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre cluster visited. Anyone who has been to these locations at the times specified should monitor their health and if they develop any COVID-19 symptoms, even mild, get tested.
The updated list is available online.
REMINDER: CDNA Guidelines
Suspected / probable / confirmed COVID-19 patients are defined in the CDNA Series of National Guidelines (SoNG).
Reminder for your patients and staff
- If you are sick with symptoms of COVID-19 please get tested and stay at home until your test returns a negative result.
- Regularly wash your hands and disinfect your phone.
- Maintain physical distancing.