Do you risk losing access to higher Medicare rebates on 15 June 2021?
April 06, 2021
Are you a:
- Fellow of the RACGP but haven’t registered as a specialist GP with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)?
- GP who was previously on the Vocational Register and wishes to be re-instated?
- GP on the Vocational Register but hold non-practising registration?
Then you’ll need to register as a specialist GP with AHPRA.
Fellows will need to submit their registration with AHPRA before 16 April and former vocationally registered GPs by 30 April to ensure it’s processed before the closure of the Vocational Register.
Recent legislative changes have simplified recognition of GPs as specialists. Access to higher Medicare rebates for patients will now be determined by ‘continued specialist registration’ status with AHPRA. This is a change in how GPs are recognised as specialists and means the closure of the Vocational Register by 15 June 2021.
You don’t need to do anything if you:
- are already registered as a specialist GP with AHPRA
- no longer need access to specialist GP Medicare items (now or in the future).
If you're at risk of losing access, Fellows should contact AHPRA directly on 1300 419 495 and GPs previously on the Vocational Register should contact the RACGP CPD team at email@example.com to discuss your requirements and eligibility to re-enter the Vocational Register.