Expression of interest - Diabetes physician in practice (for West Moreton general practices)
May 06, 2021
Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN in collaboration with West Moreton Health presents an initiative to address chronic disease and co-morbidity at the community level with an emphasis on Type 2 Diabetes.
This opportunity is for West Moreton general practices only.
This is an innovative approach to the management of chronic disease that focuses on the education of GPs by an endocrinologist conducting patient consultations jointly with the GP at the GP’s general practice.
Expectations are that improved patient outcomes will result in the long term due to:
- education/upskilling of GPs and practice nurses
- easier service access for patients
- reduced waiting lists for specialist care.
What does the physician in practice model of care include?
- Joint consultation between:
- practice nurse
- nurse practitioner/credentialled diabetes educator.
- GPs being responsible for leading the session and outlining/confirming priorities.
- Utilisation of a specialist consultation model and provision of clinical recommendations or multidisciplinary case conference model.
- Includes a clinical team learning education session.
- Enables a peer support structure that enhances individual practice.
- Supports a multidisciplinary approach, promoting a collective response and strengthening collaborative ties across disciplines.
- Dr Tom Dover is an Endocrinologist and Obstetric Medicine Physician with degrees in Exercise Physiology and Dietetics & Clinical Nutrition (West Moreton Health).
- Kay Dean is a Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Navigator and an experienced credentialed diabetes educator.
- All patients must be diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Commitment from your general practice to organise booking of patients.
- 6-12 patients per session.
Express your interest
If you and/or your practice are interested in participating, please fill out the expression of interest form below by COB Wednesday, 30 June 2021.