Public Health Alert - Measles
October 23, 2019
GPs and and primary health care professionals are advised that aA confirmed case of measles visited Toowoomba during their infectious period in the last week with a high number of contacts. Further cases could present in Toowoomba and the Darling Downs area in the coming weeks.
Please note the below key messages from Darling Downs Health:
- Anyone planning overseas travel should ensure they have received appropriate vaccinations (including measles) prior to travel.
- Infants as young as six months of age can receive free measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine prior to travel overseas.
- Be alert for measles in patients presenting with a fever at rash onset, particularly if they were overseas 7-18 days prior to onset of illness.
- Isolate suspected cases.
- Immediately notify the Darling Downs Public Health Unit on 0746998240 (business hours) or 31764040 (after hours) of suspected cases.
- Take naso-pharyngeal swabs and urine for measles PCR and blood for measles serology. For infection control reasons it is best to collect pathology at the same place as case assessment.
- Offer free measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine to all eligible people born during or after 1966.
To read the full alert, click here.