NEW INFORMATION 28 January 2020 Novel Coronavirus Public Health Alert
January 28, 2020
The Communicable Diseases Branch has provided an update on the novel coronavirus cluster originating in Wuhan, China.
The novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that started circulating in Wuhan, China is spreading to other parts of China and internationally.
Please alert your staff to triage patients who have recently travelled to anywhere in China who present with fever and respiratory symptoms within 14 days of arriving in Australia for your further assessment. It would be worthwhile organising signage in your practice to alert patients that they should advise someone in the practice immediately if this is the case.
Please note: This information may change as more becomes known about the characteristics of the virus.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Consider novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection in patients with fever and respiratory symptoms who recently travelled to anywhere in China.
- Investigate and manage patients for respiratory illness using standard practices.
- For severe respiratory illness, transfer to Emergency Departments for investigation.
- Queensland Health has launched a web page with information for both healthcare workers and the public.
Please discuss any cases of concern with your local Public Health Unit immediately so that appropriate actions and testing can be organised.
- West Moreton p: 07 3818 4700 (business hours), p: 07 3176 2111 (after hours, ask for public health)
- Darling Downs p: 07 4699 8240 (business hours), p: 07 3646 1699 (after hours)