Patients must have exhausted all other funding options prior to using Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN Chronic Conditions Program funding. This includes their private health insurance, Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Medicare and NDIS funding.
- have a diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or other respiratory conditions such as bronchiectasis, interstitial lung disease, chronic asthma or pulmonary hypertension
- be recovering from an acute exacerbation of their condition
- be willing to participate (even if they are on long-term oxygen therapy or are current smokers).
Patients are excluded if they have any of the following:
- severe cognitive impairment
- severe psychotic disturbance
- a relevant infectious disease
- musculoskeletal or neurological disorders that prevent exercise
- unstable cardiovascular disease (e.g. unstable angina, aortic valve disease, unstable pulmonary hypertension)
- unstable angina* or myocardial infarction during the previous month
- resting heart rate > 120 beats / min after 10 minutes rest (relative contraindication)
- systolic blood pressure > 200 mmHg ± diastolic blood pressure > 100 mmHg (relative contraindication)
- resting pulse oximetry (SpO2)% < 85% on room6 air or while breathing the prescribed level of supplemental oxygen. The referring doctor should be notified and exercise assessment should not proceed.6 Suggest the patient should be referred for assessment for long-term oxygen therapy (LTOT) if not already receiving supplemental oxygen. See testing protocol for oxygen supplementation.
- physical disability preventing safe performance
- 7-8 Participants with mild-moderate COPD/respiratory disease
- 2-3 Participants with severe COPD
Please advise on referral form if mild, moderate or severe (see below). Stage Spirometry (post-bronchodilator)
- I – Mild COPD FEV1 / FVC < 0.7 and FEV1 60% to 80% predicted
- II – Moderate COPD FEV1 / FVC < 0.7 and FEV1 40% to 59% predicted
- III – Severe COPD FEV1 / FVC < 0.7 and FEV1 below 40% predicte