Medications & medication management of Diabetes Mellitus, Parkinson's Disease & Respiratory Illnesses
Introduction / Overview:
Medications and medication management are a critical component of the clinical care of older adults. Usage, dosage, precautions, adverse effects, interactions, newer treatments … In this webinar, our presenter Neil Petrie will bring his knowledge, experience & insights to examine the medications (and related topics) for the management of these chronic conditions.
Outline / Objectives:
- To identify both motor and non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
- To understand the basic principles of dopaminergic pharmacotherapy in Parkinson’s disease, including the mechanisms of different medications and their impact on motor symptoms
- To identify common side effects and adverse reactions associated with therapy used in Parkinson’s disease, and to discuss strategies for mitigating these effects to maximise patient outcomes.
- To understand the principles of diabetes pharmacotherapy, including the different classes of medications used to manage blood glucose levels, their mechanism of action and how they are prescribed on patient specific factors.
- To identify potential side effects associated with diabetes medications, including hypoglycaemia, weight gain, and gastrointestinal disturbances, and to discuss mitigating factors to maximise patient outcomes.
- To identify and mitigate risks with diabetes therapy.
- To understand the principles of respiratory pharmacotherapy, including the different classes of medications used to manage respiratory illnesses. Their mechanism of action and how they are prescribed on patient specific factors.
- To identify potential adverse effects from these therapies and discuss strategies for preventing these side effects
- To explore the role of proper inhaler technique in the effective delivery of respiratory medications, including demonstration of correct inhaler use, troubleshooting common errors, and considerations for different types of inhalers
Target Audience: RNs, EENs, Clinical Coordinators, Quality/Education Managers, Facility Managers, DONs and other interested health care professionals with responsibilities for medication management.
Your registration fee includes: Pre-reading material, Comprehensive Webinar Notes, Post event resources, Certificate of Attendance
For more information, contact Aged and Health Care Education.