Pain Management in the Elderly: Tips and Strategies for Nurses
Introduction / Overview:
This 3-hour webinar is designed to provide healthcare professionals with practical tips and strategies for pain management in the elderly population. The session will be led by Nurse Practitioner, Amy Bowen, who will cover a wide range of topics related to pain in the elderly, including assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
Outline / Objectives:
Session 1: Understanding Pain in the Elderly
- Introduction to pain in the elderly
- Factors contributing to pain/Differential diagnoses and common causes of pain in the elderly
- Common types of pain experienced by elderly individuals
- Differences in pain perception in the elderly
- Challenges in assessing pain in the elderly
Session 2: Diagnosis and Assessment of Pain in the Elderly
- Techniques and challenges in assessing pain in the elderly
- Tools for evaluating pain in the elderly
- Use of Radiology
Session 3: Management and Prevention of Pain in the Elderly
- Pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches to pain management
- Use of opioids and potential risks in the elderly – Hyperalgesia – opiate toxicity
- Pain and delirium
- The Role of deprescribing
- Management of chronic pain in the elderly
- Preventive measures for pain in the elderly
- Collaboration between allied health and other healthcare professionals in pain management
The webinar will include interactive elements such as case studies and Q&A sessions, Participants will have the opportunity to interact with the educator. By the end of the webinar, participants will have gained a better understanding of pain management in the elderly and practical strategies to improve pain management outcomes for this population.
Target Audience: RNs, EENs, Clinical Coordinators, Quality/Education Managers, Facility Managers, DONs and other interested health care professionals.
For more information, contact Aged and Health Care Education.