Menu Icon Search

The aged care system is complex, and some people find it more difficult than others to navigate and access the services they need.

Care finders support vulnerable older people who would not be able to arrange services without intensive support and do not have a family member or friends who can help.

The care finder program is part of aged care reform in response to the recommendations of the Royal Commission and funded nationally through PHNs to improve integration between the health, aged care and other systems at a local level.

Care finder services are provided at no cost as they are fully funded through Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN.

Care finders in our region

Referrals to the care finder program are possible through numerous channels. There is no specific assessment required to gain access, and a medical referral is not essential. Contacting one of the service providers is a good starting point to gaining assistance for you or someone you know.

Below is a link to care finders in the Darling Downs and West Moreton region:

Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia (ADA)

Footprints Community Limited

STAR Community Services

*Focus (all care finders can help people from all backgrounds – ‘focus’ means this is the main group helped).

Frequently asked questions

How does the care finder service work?

If someone requires care finder support, then a local organisation can connect them with a dedicated care finder. The care finder will meet with them, usually in person. This can be at their home or another place they choose. The care finder will ask questions to understand the person’s situation and support them to work through the steps to address their needs.

Care finders are qualified and have relevant experience in social work, human services, health service or aged care. They have a detailed understanding of the range and eligibility requirements of aged care supports and services and other relevant supports in the local community.

What help can care finders provide?

Care finders can help people understand what aged care services are available, set up an assessment and find and choose services. They also help people with access to other supports in the community. They can help with both accessing services for the first time and changing or finding new services and supports.

They can help someone with:

  • talking to My Aged Care on their behalf and arranging an assessment
  • attending and providing support at the assessment
  • finding and short-listing aged care providers in their area
  • completing forms and understanding aged care service agreements
  • checking-in once services are up and running to make sure everything is OK
  • solving other challenges and connecting to supports in the community, such as health, mental health, housing and homelessness, drug and alcohol services and community groups.

Care finders are not funded to act as advocates however their role may involve discrete elements of advocacy such as support to resolve a problem with a provider that the care finder has helped the client to engage.

Who is eligible for care finder?

Care finders provide specialist and intensive assistance to a small proportion of people who are eligible for aged care services but without intensive assistance may miss out on the support they need, when they need it most.

People who may be eligible for care finder:

  1. need help with one or more everyday tasks
  2. are aged 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) OR are 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) on a low income or at risk of being homeless; and
  3. have one or more reasons* for requiring intensive support to interact with My Aged Care, access aged care services and/or other relevant supports in the community.

*Reasons may include:

  • isolation or absence of a support person
  • communication barriers, including limited English language or literacy skills
  • difficulty processing information to make decisions
  • resistance to engage with aged care, where there are current or future concerns for a person's safety, including possible homelessness
  • hesitance to engage with government and institutions due to past discrimination or trauma.

How do I access care finder?

A professional referral is not required to access care finder services. People requiring support (or a support person or representative) are encouraged to telephone a care finder organisation to make a referral, as this will allow intake staff to determine if the service is right for the person.

Care finders will also connect in with their local community and undertake assertive outreach to proactively identify and engage people who may require intensive navigation support.

To find a local provider visit My Aged Care or see table in the next section.

What other support is available?

Most people who need aged care should call My Aged Care on 1800 200 244 or visit to discuss their needs and arrange an assessment.

If someone would like help to talk to My Aged Care or to use the website they can go to any Services Australia centre. There are also Aged Care Specialist officers who give face-to-face help in 70 Services Australia service centres. Visit Services Australia website to see where these are located or call 1800 227 475.

The following services are available to assist older adults who need aged care or other community supports:


For more information

Visit the Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care website or for queries relating to Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN's care finder program, email: