Complexities in working with co-occurring mental health and alcohol and other drug presentations
Join our interdisciplinary panel to learn about harm reduction, abstinence, stigma and mental health challenges that people may face due to their current or past use of AOD.
- Bill Buckley (VIC – AOD Mental Health Educator with a lived experience)
- Dr. Hester Wilson (NSW – General Practitioner)
- Dr. Mary Emeleus (QLD - Psychiatrist)
And facilitator Prof. Stephen Trumble (VIC – General Practitioner)
- Discuss the difference between harm reduction and abstinence and how these approaches relate to mental health.
- Outline how to work with people experiencing mental health challenges, who are currently using or have used AOD in the past.
- Discuss stigma and the importance of language and communication when providing care to people seeking assistance for AOD use.
- Identify strategies to engage specialist services when supporting people who are experiencing mental health challenges due to their current or past use of AOD.
For more information, contact Mental Health Professionals Network.